Monday, August 1, 2011

In the Garden | Trellis Structure


My husband just checked the garden tonight and the beans have blossoms!  The picture is from a couple of days ago, showing the mass of bean plants.  Hopefully we'll be eating fresh beans from the garden soon.

At the back of my garden you'll notice an addition, the trellis structure that my husband put up for me.  Here's a closer look:


It was actually really simple, two metal fence posts that he drove into the ground.  Then he took some mesh wire that we had on hand and stretched it across and around the fence posts.  In case you're wondering, the big black box behind the garden is our compost bin.

The cucumbers have already begun to climb the trellis, I helped guide them through the holes and already they are wrapping little tendrils around the wire.


I'm not sure how the tomatoes will work yet, time will tell with them.  I carefully pushed the largest vines through the holes to get the plants up and off my onions.  I did harvest a little from my garden already - a few onions!  When I was checking to see how they were doing, I just couldn't resist plucking a few out.  I chopped them up and we ate them as a garnish on our Tamale Casserole last week.


Though its still early, I think the trellis will be a success.  It seems much sturdier than tomato cages and will hopefully last for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...