Thursday, July 28, 2011

In the Garden | Deck Planters

This week my ever helpful husband put up a trellis for my cucumber and tomato plants that I wanted to share with you. Unfortunately it was pouring when I wanted to take pictures, so that will have to wait. On the positive side, my garden is getting a much needed drink after a lot of sweltering hot weather.


Instead I thought I would share another area of my garden - on my deck. Last summer my father and husband built a railing for the deck to keep our little ones safe. After the job was finished, my husband built some planters for me also.  Since the deck is right off the kitchen I thought that planters would be the perfect way to have fresh herbs close by.  I have three planters in total and the one above is completely decorative. This particular planter is mostly shaded by the house so it is not a good choice for growing herbs.  The Fuschia that I planted there is doing great!  I'm really happy with how the plant cascades over the edges.


The remaining planters house a combination of decorative and edible plants.  The next one has basil and rosemary.  I have a pesto on the menu this week to use some of that great basil.


The final planter has chives and parsley.  The plants on either end are Wedding Veil (little white flowers) and some blue thing that has gotten rather straggly (I don't remember the name of it).


The last edible plant on my deck is in a large plastic planter to keep it contained and out of the rest of my garden - mint!  I LOVE mint jelly, but to buy mint at the grocery store is really expensive.  And the mint that you can buy is usually not very fresh.  Another thing great to make with fresh mint are Moijtos!  I'll have to post the recipe the next time we make those.


As you can see the mint seems to like its home where it gets lots of late afternoon sun.  It started out as two small little pots of mint, now its practically a bush!

There you have a peek into what is growing on my deck.  Later this week when its sunny out I'll get some pictures of my new trellis in my square foot garden and show how my garden is growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...