Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cherry Picking

Around here we're in the middle of cherry season.  Our family did not make it out to cherry picking last year, but we had to go this year since our frozen cherry stash was completely gone.  I love having sour cherries in the freezer for making pies and cherry cheesecake. Yum!

We've never taken the kids cherry picking so it was a new experience for them.  They both got the hang of it really quickly.  We gave them each a pail and picked a smaller tree so they could reach.  Jaden and Hannah both started picking right away.


I was really impressed with how many cherries Jaden picked.  Of course, I should mention that we started with picking the sour cherries which are not very good for eating.  Jaden tried one and said, "I don't like it."

Look at that face!  "I don't like it Mommy!"
My cherry picker, hard at work.

He proceeded to spit it out, picked another and then asked, "Is this a good one?"  I think he thought maybe he picked a bad one.  After several similar attempts, I had to tell Jaden to stop eating them.  I assured him that we would find some good ones to eat later.  The sweet cherries were a whole different story.  Jaden was a terrible sweet cherry picker - he was too busy eating them!


By the time we were finished getting our sweet cherries, Jaden was sticky from head to toe.  His shirt was a mess and he had cherry juice dripping from his elbows.  But they sure were good!

Hannah was quite intrigued with cherry picking also, but wasn't so keen on eating them.  Instead she just studied them, put them in her bucket, then one by one dumped them out again.  She had fun though.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...