Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tutorial | Child Sized Oven Mitts

My kids both love to play with the pretend food that they got for Christmas last year.  So to go along with their food I decided to make them a pair of oven mitts.  I could not find a good pattern online anywhere so I decided to make my own.  After a few failed attempts (sorry no pictures of those), I came up with one that works for all ages.  I would rate this project as easy, it took me about 3 hours to complete the two mittens.  Keep reading if you want to make a pair of your own!

Warning:  These oven mitts are for play only.  They are NOT oven safe.


Materials Needed:
Free child sized oven mitt pattern
2 fat quarters (one in a print, one in a solid)
4 pieces of quilt batting (each about 8" by 11")
2 pieces of double fold bias tape (each about 11 1/2" inches long)

For the bias tape I chose the same color as the solid fat quarter.



Begin with the solid fat quarter.  Fold in half and lay the pattern on top.  Pin your pattern down and cut out.  Repeat.  You need a total of 4 mitts from the solid fabric.

You should be able to get 4 pieces from one fat quarter.




Repeat with the print fat quarter.  Fold in half, position and pin your pattern and cut out 4 mitts.

You should now have 4 solid mitt pieces and 4 print mitt pieces.





Lay one of the solid pieces on the table WRONG side up.  Take one piece of quilt batting and lay over the top so the solid fabric is completely covered.  Lay a print piece over the top RIGHT side up.  Adjust so the print and solid pieces match up perfectly.  Pin the 3 layers in place.







Repeat with the other solid and print pieces.  The picture show 2 pieces ready for sewing, in total you should have 4.










Now comes the slightly time consuming part.  Using your sewing machine, quilt the three layers together as follows.

Lay the first piece at a diagonal to the foot.  Sew straight across (at a diagonal) until you reach the other side.  This line of stitching will be your guide for the rest of the quilting.





Using the foot as a guide for width, sew parallel diagonal lines across the entire piece until it looks like the picture.










Next, turn the piece so your sewing machine foot is perpendicular to your diagonal lines.  You are going to repeat the process above, but in the opposite direction to create a grid of little squares over the entire surface of the piece.

Repeat this process until all your pieces are quilted.






Trim the excess quilt batting and any loose threads.












Take 2 pieces and align them with the print sides facing each other.  Pin around the edge.

Repeat with the other 2 pieces.









Sew the pieces together with a 1/4" seam allowance.

Serge or zig-zag stitch the edge so they won't fray. I do not have a serger so I use a zig-zag stitch - it is quite sufficient for this project.

Repeat with the other mitt.





Turn both mitts right side out.

If you haven't already, cut 2 pieces of bias tape, each 11 1/2 inches long.









Take one piece of bias tape and unfold each end.  Pin the ends, right sides facing and sew with a 1/4" seam allowance.

Repeat with other piece of bias tape.








Turn and refold the bias tape so it forms a ring.











Sandwich the raw edge of the mitten in the center of the bias tape and pin in place.  Sew around the edge about an 1/8" in from the open edge of the bias tape.









Repeat with other mitt and voila!  Two oven mitts that any child is sure to love.

I can get my hands inside the oven mitts so they should be big enough for any child.  My two-year-old has no troubles getting them on either.

Enjoy!  I'd love to see your projects - feel free to comment and leave a link to your own project.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh how fun! What a great way to get kids in the kitchen :)

I run Fun Family Crafts, a library of craft tutorials geared at kids of all ages. I would love it if you'd stop by and submit this to be featured! (I link to you, I don't post your tutorial on the site) Feel free to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like! http://funfamilycrafts.com/

Amanda @ Frills and Frolic said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I see me making these in the very near future - I am making aprons for my little cousins.

Thanks again! I found you via someday crafts' linky party :)

Amanda

http://frillsandfrolic.blogspot.com

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

So cute. Thank you for the tutorial. More the Merrier Monday will be open until tonight at midnight. I would love for you to stop by and link up your child oven mits. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

Stephanie Hillberry said...

These mitts are perfect! I love it when parents take opportunities to involve their kids into the day to day activities of home life (ie cooking). Hopefully these mitts will turn your kids into great cooks someday! Then they can cook for you!

Thanks for sharing your creativity--

Stephanie from Make Home Make Sense

OXO Good Grips Silicone Oven Mitt said...

Gorgeous and pretty photos, fantastic photos!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...