Tuesday, July 12, 2011

In the Garden | Our seeds have germinated!

To be perfectly honest I was a little concerned about the viability of our seeds when I planted them in the garden.  The seeds were in a cardboard box in our basement which can be rather humid and damp.  Definitely not the ideal place to be storing seeds.  Much to my relief nearly all of them have germinated and poked up above the surface.

We have cucumbers:

Onions (these were grown from sets):


Kale:

The beans were really fun since they seemed to appear nearly overnight.  One night I looked at the garden and did not see any bean sprouts.  The following afternoon the garden was filled with sprouts, many nearly 2 inches tall already!


It was great to see so many seeds come up, and only a week after planting.  So far one of the benefits of this type of gardening that I've noticed is how easy it is to keep everything watered.  My husband has been taking the time to water the beds whenever they are dry to give our seeds the water necessary for germination.  The smaller area has also been much easier to keep weed-free.  I know its premature but I'm already looking forward to some home-grown beans for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...