Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday Fun | Homemade Playdough


I can remember my mom making playdough for myself and my brother and sister when we were small. As I got older I can remember her giving me a bowl of playdough still warm from the pan and instructing me to knead in the color.
Jaden is still too young to get involved in the making of the playdough, but he getting to the age where he is old enough to play with it and not just eat it. So I recruited Asia to make some playdough for the two of them to play with. She measured and stirred until we had a nice dough, then I split the dough up, added color and we kneaded it in.

Initially Jaden just looked at the playdough and poked at it tentatively. Then with some encouragement he got involved in poking it and pulling it apart. He's still a bit too young to do much molding and shaping with the dough, but he still had lots of fun with it.



Homemade Playdough

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
food coloring

Mix all ingredients except food coloring into a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the mixture sticks together in a ball. Remove pan from heat and allow the dough to cool. Squeeze and knead dough.

At this point the dough is a bland tan color. To make it more fun I split the large ball of dough into four pieces and added food coloring to each piece, red, yellow, green, and blue. A few drops of color should be enough. To add the coloring, make a depression in the center of the dough. Add a few drops of color, then knead dough to distribute the color evenly into the ball of dough.

Playdough can be stored in an airtight bag or container in the fridge for future use. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...