Monday, July 18, 2011

Makeover Monday | Striped Chair

A few years ago I found this chair at a local thrift store.  It wasn't much to look at - the faded orange upholstery was less than appealing.  But I liked the clean lines of the chair and the $6.00 price tag so I bought it.


I don't have any pictures of the "in-process tearing apart phase", but the foam and inside of the upholstery was nearly as bad as the outside.  The foam padding was disintegrating and discolored.  For this project I completely redid the upholstery, new padding, webbing and fabric.  The fabric I chose was a more modern striped pattern featuring red with a little green.

For the wooden frame I sanded and refinished with tung oil (with lots of help from my ever helpful husband ;).  The wood had a nice reddish hue, so no stain was necessary.  I am quite happy with the results and the chair now sits in our living room.


Here's another side-by-side view, before and after:
The colors in the chair are bolder than I normally like in upholstered furniture, but I see this chair as more of an accent piece.  It also brings some nice color into our living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...